Education about current monetary system

Economic system discussion.
Knooot

Re: Education

Post by Knooot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:12 pm

A few years back I got a copy of 'Economics For Dummies' - it was total bullshit. I also searched for a 'Marx for Dummies' but it doesn't exist. I have since read (with companion texts (which I found essential)) a fair amount of 'Capital', and do think that Marx's analysis of liberal economics is very enlightening, and very relevant to our situation today.

What we need is an honest 'Economics For Dummies'. I would also like a 'Capital for Dummies'.

GN912457

Post by GN912457 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Have not read economics for dummies so can not comment, however any economic text book is going to get the basics and the advanced set in your mind (the problem comes with what advanced stuff do you think fits and what is just an idea). The wealth of nations, Adam Smith is the best starting point, the English is hard to read but still makes sense and the time in history he talks about makes it easier to understand. When you have to start with a collateralised debt obligation and don't know what capital is, its not surprising that most people just switch of to whole thing.

EconoD

Post by EconoD » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:22 pm

The Positive Money campaign http://www.positivemoney.org is off to a fantastic start I think. They had one episode on the Keiser Report. They've been making an effort to ensure MPs in the UK understand the money system by getting supporters to contact and question them.

They've written several books in an attempt to make the financial system and money creation in particular comprehensible.