Anorexia and Bulimia are the most well-known eating disorders. Almost everyone has ever heard of them and know what they are. Ednos is an eating disorder which is much less known. However, about 40% of the people with eating disorders, have the diagnosis ednos.
What does ednos mean?
Ednos is an eating disorder. It stands for 'Eating disorder not otherwise specified'.
The DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), the American Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of mental disorders which is used standard in most countries for the establishment of an eating disorder. In this manual, some examples of ednos are given:
1. All the criteria of anorexia are there, except the absence of menstruation.
2. All the criteria of anorexia are there, only the person has a healthy weight.
3. All the characteristics of bulimia are there, only the binges occur less often than twice a week, or less than three months.
4. Vomiting of small amounts of food while having a healthy weight.
5. Chewing and spitting food without swallowing, called chew and spit.
6. Also, BED, or binge eating disorder is diagnosed as ednos.
How often does ednos occur?
4.64% of adults in the United States have ednos. In persons aged 13 to 24 years, this is 4.78%. 50 to 60 % of patients cure from ednos.
Individuals with ednos are often taken less seriously than those who have anorexia or bulimia. Therefore they do not get the (psychological) help they need. As a result, the death rate from this mental illness is higher than in other eating disorders. The warning signs are similar to other eating disorders. Treatment is difficult, because the eating disorder involves lots of different ailments. Some people have binges, others do not. Some compensate by purging, others do not.
The health effects are the same as for other eating disorders. Osteoporosis, cardiac arrhythmias, hypoglycemia and anemia are common consequences.
Get and give tips about eating better and become healthy.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest